Friday 10 April 2015

Mamenchisaurus youngi presents a money-off print offer and other links of interest

Jurassic sauropod Mamenchisaurus youngi was a pretty freaky looking thing: a weird, upturned tail base; some sort of 'sail' along the hip/tail junction; a hugely oversize neck and massive shoulders. Here, one is shown engaging in a bird-like threat display: head and neck down, vocalising, and elevating its tail. The other is engaging in bird-like can't-be-botheredness.   Prints of this image are available here.
With apologies for a post entirely devoted entirely to loosening money from your pockets, there are three items of newsworthiness I want to share here. Two of them are even for decent, well-meaning causes. The other is my livelihood, which I also consider a good cause, but I'm aware I have a biased opinion on that.

1. Lots of new art at my print store, and a 20% discount for savvy types

In addition to updating this blog and Twitter, I also regularly add new artwork to my online print store. Much as I try to give each piece full airing and discussion here, I struggle to do this for all my work in a timely fashion, and they end up on sale before an accompanying article can be produced. Recent additions include:


*Thanks to co-conspirators Robert Gay and ReBecca Hunt-Foster for concepts and assistance with these pieces!

If you'd like to own a high quality Giclée print of one of these, or any of the other 29 paintings in there, now is a good time to purchase one. Until the end of April you can obtain a 20% discount on the print costs by entering the promotional code 'APRIL2015' at the store checkout. The code doesn't apply to shipping costs, but knocks a hefty chunk off the prints themselves. Armed with this code, prices range from £16-40 instead of their £20-50. All purchases support the production of more art and articles, so every purchase is sincerely appreciated.

It's not official until there's a shareable image for social media.

2. It's fund-raising auction time at the Portsmouth's Natural History Museum!

My local natural history museum, Cumberland House, is attempting to raise money for a new bee hive exhibition via an eclectic auction next week. The auction takes place on April 15th and offers a huge range of stuff: furniture, artwork, days out, full-blown holidays, money off cruise fares and a whole lot more. There's lots of stuff here which will be of interest to those outside of the local area and bids can be made remotely - you don't have to attend the auction personally to obtain some of that cool stuff. There's even some palaeoart for sale - a framed print of my 'Tyrannosaurus vs. bees' painting. Details of this, and a full low-down on the lots, are available in the auction catalogue (here) and at the Friends of Cumberland House Facebook page

3. Mammoth is Mopey (again)

Yeah, I know I've mentioned this before, but it's such a good project that I want to make sure it's known as widely as possible. Mammoth is Mopey is a book for younger readers showing a different prehistoric animal for each letter of the alphabet, with each species accompanied by a fun, quirky illustration. In keeping with the sauropod themed opener of this post, here's the Mammoth is Mopey 'Boastful Brontomerus'.

From Mammoth is Mopey, which you can support here. Illustration by David Orr.
As you might tell by the inclusion of this relatively obscure species, Mammoth is Mopey is going to introduce children and their parents to a new suite of prehistoric animals in a very fun, memorable way. It's rare to see projects aimed at very young children trying to break new ground like this, and that alone seems good reason to support it. The book, by David and Jennie Orr (David being well known for founding Love in the Time of Chasmosaurs), is currently halfway through an Indiegogo campaign and received just over 50% funding. With outreach exercises also riding on the successful funding of this project, it would be great to see it meet the $10,000 target in the next 20 days.

Right, that's my attempt to fleece readers of their money done for now. Less commercially-minded posts will follow soon.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mark. I love your art but as a New York resident in a small apartment I 1.) don't have much wall space and 2.) my wife would most likely frown if I take limited wall space up with my dino obsession. So...any chance there's a book of your art in the works?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that! Maybe you could convince Titan Books to make you their next featured paleoartist!

      Delete
  2. You've probably seen this but I wanted to share the link anyway -- it involves a study of skull structure in carnivores and how hard it can be to tell from their bones what they eat -- I immediately thought about Dimorphodon and company.
    http://www.amnh.org/explore/news-blogs/research-posts/building-better-skull-models-for-ancient-carnivores
    P.S. I also think a book of Mark Witton paleoart would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe no-one told me that Brontomerus is in Mammoth is Mopey!

    Aaanyway ... Mark, what's your evidence for "some sort of 'sail' along the hip/tail junction" in Mamenchisaurus youngi? Is it anything different from the tallish dorsals seen in the better known Mamenchisaurus species?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good news (in case you're unaware) is that Mammoth is Mopey was fully funded, so a whole generation of kids will now know Brontomerus. Hooray!

      On Mamenchisaurus: Yeah, I'm just referring to the tall neural spines at the tail base. Not sure what they're about at all.

      Delete
  4. Nice Blog, Thank you so much for sharing such an amazing blog. You can also read our blog : Online printing

    ReplyDelete